The World Health Organization is planning a study of the average weight gain of Europeans in the last 5 years. Scientists from the WHO plan

Question

The World Health Organization is planning a study of the average weight gain of Europeans in the last 5 years. Scientists from the WHO plan on taking a SRS of 100 Europeans and calculating a 95% confidence interval of the average weight gain of all Europeans. The WHO changed their minds and now plans on calculating a 90% confidence interval from the sample they will select. Explain to the WHO the impact of changing their confidence level from 95% to 90%. Select all that apply. Their confidence interval would be less likely to capture the sample mean. The probability of selecting a sample which doesn’t capture the true value of μ would be 10% rather than 5% if they decide to calculate a 90% confidence interval rather than a 95% confidence interval from the sample they will select. They would increase the margin of error of their confidence interval if they calculated a 90% rather than a 95% confidence interval. They would decrease the margin of error of their confidence interval if they calculated a 90% rather than a 95% confidence interval.

in progress 0
Emery 2 hours 2021-09-13T11:14:38+00:00 1 Answer 0

Answers ( )

    0
    2021-09-13T11:16:37+00:00

    Answer:

    B and D

    Step-by-step explanation:

    Options are

    A. Their confidence interval would be less likely to capture the sample mean.

    B. The probability of selecting a sample which doesn’t capture the true value of μ would be 10% rather than 5% if they decide to calculate a 90% confidence interval rather than a 95% confidence interval from the sample they will select.

    C. They would increase the margin of error of their confidence interval if they calculated a 90% rather than a 95% confidence interval.

    D. They would decrease the margin of error of their confidence interval if they calculated a 90% rather than a 95% confidence interval.

    A. Confidence interval is pivoted around mean. So this is an incorrect option.

    B. 90% sample values around mean will be included in case of 90% confidence interval  and 95% sample values  around mean wil be included in case of 95% confidence interval. So this option is correct

    C. Margin of error increases with increase in confidence interval as likelihood of a sample value deviating from mean increases. So this is incorrect.

    D. same explanation as above

Leave an answer

45:7+7-4:2-5:5*4+35:2 =? ( )